Friday, October 06, 2006

This will probably bore you

Statues PlayingDaniel and Mom looking
You know what I really love about the Bay Area? No? Well, I'll tell you.

It's not that it's stunningly beautiful, has many hiking and outdoor activities available or is situated in the heart of California.

It's really two things.
One, it feels like home, it feels like a place I can really sink my teeth into. My mom and dad are both from the bay area, more or less, and I feel like it's where my family is from. Our roots are there, it's sensibilities are our family's sensibilities, it's home.

Two, there is a feeling of space and ability for me to feel that space in a way that I have pretty much nowhere else. I can look around and know where I am, I know what's around me and I can feel it around me. When I drive through California, through the central valley, across the Alatamont pass, through Oakland, up to Lafayette, over to Sausalito and across the GG bridge, I can feel where each place is and I can feel where I am, I know the place and I know where I am.

I know that this is very ephemeral, but it's true, I know and love the way that the Bay Area makes me feel, I love it's wind, I love the way the air feels, fresh as it flows over me; it's bright, new and interesting. Of course, if anyone reads this and then goes there, or lives there, they will probably say I'm nuts, that it doesn't feel like that, I'm being overly dramatic. Well, maybe I am using language that seems overly dramatic but only because I am trying to convey the way the place makes me feel. Feel it for yourself and try to describe it, see how it compares.

This blog is getting weird.

No comments: