Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Trying to corner some ideas

I think that it's possible to corner in an idea, or space. By this I mean that I think it's possible to take a subject, let's say animation, and create an image of the different ways that people look at that subject. I say I think because often it is very hard, at least for me, to do this, it takes a lot of research and thought.

So why am I saying this? I think it's because I want to believe that things are understandable, that it is possible to paint a picture that makes it so that you understand a space. I think it's also possible that we simply don't have the intellect or ability to fully understand the complex workings of the universe. I see myself struggling with concepts, I use visual models for understanding things...I will now indulge in a little bit self-indulgence, I am going to talk about myself in a positive manner, which can sometimes be sickening so brace yourself.

I believe that I understand concepts quite fully, I don't have surface knowledge of most concepts, if I know it, I know it, if I don't, I don't talk about it. I think, based nothing but anecdotal evidence that it is because I create visual models for pretty much anything that I learn. Math, science, art, whatever it is, I have an image of what it is I'm trying to understand. Anyways, I think this is a main way that people understand concepts and information, through the use of models, usually based on some sort of mental image.

So, where was I, oh yes, based on this fact that I tend to use visual models for understanding things my way of thinking is inherently flawed. We as humans only see things in particular ways and so if a concept too elusive to fit into our way of thinking then I find it very hard to understand.

Then, to the point, I think it is very possible that even simple concepts and ideas cannot be fully explored by us, or me in particular, because we do not have the facilities to truly understand said concepts. I know that I can feel when I run up against my mental boundaries, as I'm sure many people have. I think that we are very inventive with getting around these limitations, but how much more effective would be if we didn't have these limitations? And, I think even more importantly, what are we going to do when run into problems that are too hard for us?

No comments: